5 Graffiti Terms (in relation to the photo above)
1. CHARACTER: A cartoon figure (usually, but not necessarily) taken from comic books, TV or popular culture to add humor or emphasis to a piece. In some pieces, the character takes the place of a letter in a word.
2. FAT: Can refer to something being thick, as a “fat line”, or can be a general term of good, like “yo, that’s fat!” Often spelled “phat”.
3. KARAK: Same as “character” (see #1).
4. PIECE: A graffiti painting, short for masterpiece. It’s generally agreed that a painting must have at least three colors to be considered a piece.
5. WRITER: Practitioner of the art of graffiti.